Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Saltshaker Aguascalientes Update (7/8/09)

From Sammy: (And some, Bobby):

I have the lovely task of blogging about the past two days. Yummy.

Yesterday was a sort of slow day. In the the morning after Robyn's devotional, we did VBS preparation. Then in the afternoon we passed out flyers that we had made. After the passing out of flyers, there was a bible study in
Pocitos. Like all the other studies in Pocitos, the boys played on our team with our friends Luis y Fernando. We played Ultimate Frisbee (which the Mexicans really seem to enjoy) in the rain. It rained hard and we were soaked by the end of the game. Edwin and Mari keep telling us how playing games with these boys is really important and helpful in their ministry. Sports helps build relationships and I am seeing the affects of that already as Edwin and Jeremy are building trust with them.

After the game we went to our respective houses to get cleaned up. I, however, went to the Smuck's house and borrowed some of Young Mateo's clothes. Once cleaned up, I went to Lupita's salon to get my hair did. I looked through the "book of hair" to find wich style I liked best. When I came upon the "fauxhawk", I knew that was the one that I wanted. With some encouragement from Jeremy and Betty, I got it. I look HOT! Then we went and had some sweet tacos at Ricardo's, where I ate entirely too much, again. Then Bobby and I stayed up late talking with Las Girones.

This morning, I hopped up out that bed and turned my swag on (prende mi swag for you spanish speakers). Then we went to have VBS. We started with Deidre's devotional, and we handed out some more flyers and waited for the kids. At around 11, kids started to arrive. When we only had 25 kids come, we decided to improvise and have some games and songs. Then Mari told all the kids to come tomorrow and invite all of their friends. (From Bobby: This is the first VBS they have held in Villas; we had hoped for more kids, but aren't discouraged by this. It's a good starting point, and we're going to bump the schedule back 1 day from here on out, so that VBS will run Wed, Thurs, Fri and still have the graduation Friday night).

Then we had late lunch at the Smuck's, until around 3:30. I asked if they had anything besides Mexican food. They said no. :(

NAP TIME!!! Tonight we went for a walk downtown and ate at a diner-type restaurant. Then we had churros. WOW!!!!! It was pure deliciousness. They filled it with either chocolate, cajeta (a caramel-like treat) or fresa (strawberry). All of these sauces were awesome, but my favorite was the fresa.

Now I am blogging about the past two fun-filled days. While Bobby, Edwin and Favi are playing cards. (From Bobby: totally sweet game the Girons taught me. But over Sammy's head.)

Be praying for us, but also the ninos of Villas. Pray that we will have a bigger group and that we will not only provide the funnest day-camp that they will ever know, but that they could also come to know Christ as their Savior.

Samuelito

P.S. Robyn and Deidre are talking trash on how many blog comments that they get. Being from Friendswood makes everything a competition I guess. But just so all of you know, I don't blog for the money, the fame or the girls. I blog because that's me. It's my life. (From Bobby: He blogs because I make him. And this is the edited version, so use your imagination).

12 comments:

  1. Bobby, I know that maybe he should not be encouraged, but I like Young Samuelito's blog. It is good to keep up with your happenings and I am sorry that they did not have anything other than mexican food. Maybe gringos will fall from the sky el guapo. It sounds like you guys are having fun and doing a good work for the Lord! I will pray, and try to leave more comments.
    Bryanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. good grief sammy! a fauxhawk!?! your brother got one of those this week, too! but long, like a mullet in the back. it sounds like you are all having a good time. i will buy you a cheesburger when you get home, dont be whiny. ha! love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sammy, Now you and Joey will look alike. Be sure when you blog that you tell your mother that miss her.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dad! Sounds like you are keeping pretty busy! Mom says hi! She can't figure this thing out so told me to tell you she is reading the blog every day! She went to Chicago over the 4th with Becki. I don't know if you knew that or not! It was kind of last minute. Anyway we are all doing good! Kaylynn is looking forward to her birthday! Can't believe she's going to be 9!! One more year and double digits for her. Anyway have a great day! Love you Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good time! keep them coming!

    Clark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at the town behind you - it looks like a nice city. Not many trees it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sammy, I'm with your mom on this one... A fauxhawk?? Oh goodness. Oh well, I still can't wait to see you (and your fauxhawk) Tuesday. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sammy, Sammy, Sammy.... you are so silly! Sounds like you are having a great trip, and being a great encouragement to our missionaries there in Ags. Will be anxious to hear reports when you all get back. God bless....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that you are hopping out the bed and turning it on even in Mexico. Soulja Boy would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was told not to blog to ya'll because you couldn't see it....Robyn and Deidra you both know i luv Ya but since sammy only blogs because he loves it so much I'm sending this one to him and Matt!!! It sounds like ya'll are having a great time and eating good and doing what you went there to do-I love all of you and am very proud of you!!! I also miss ya'll very much!!
    Matt's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey all! Good to hear from you. Missed it when we didn't hear yesterday.

    We need a picture of the new fauxhawk. Really!

    Love you, De!

    MOM

    ReplyDelete