Sunday, July 12, 2009

Saltshaker Aguascalientes Update (7/12/09) part II

(sent late last night, 7/12)

From Deidre and Roy

Roy on Friday's VBS day:

Just so you know, Deidre and I are writing this Saturday night (10:10 right now). Late nights are the norm.

Yesterday was our last day for VBS. God has truely blessed us with beautiful weather considering that this is the rainy season here in AGS. We all arrived around 9:00am at Villas and took time in the church home for morning devotions. Betty led devotions this morning, after which we got started setting up the chairs and sound system for the day's events. We started school with 67 children, a new high for attendance. All things went well. I love the smiles on the children. You could see that they were having fun learning about Jesus, and that is what it is all about!!!

We were staying at Villas all day since we were having Graduation ceremonies that evening. Some of us went over to a nearby store and got lunch for everyone. We got chinese. Yes, you read that right, Chinese food in Mexico. (Anybody else see anything wrong in that picture!)

After lunch we did a lot of prep work for the graduation. Filled lots of bags with candy, and a lot of other bags with toys.

We had a great turnout for the Graduation. I would guess that 95% of the kids were there, and half of those had at least one parent show up. Again, at graduation, the smiles were contagious. The kids were thrilled with all the goodies, and even their parents seemed to enjoy themselves. Good times had by all.

By the time it was all over, our team thought the whole event was a huge success.

Hoping you all see this Sunday the 12th, happy birthday to KayLynn, my grand daughter who turns 9. Grandpa will see you in a couple of days!!!!!

Deidre on today's tourism day:

Hey everyone!

Today was an exciting, fun-filled day. This morning we met at the Girons' and Robyn, Favi and I (and sporadically Bobby and Andrea) played a game that they call Dutch Blitz. I love this game so much because it is almost identical to my family's favorite game, Nertz. :)

The first stop on our tourism list was an Ags history museum. It was a big open building downtown, and each wall was covered in interesting murals that represent the history of the city. Though we didn't know what the story was in most cases, it was nice to see a bit of the lives of previous Aguascalientes-ians. :)

After touring this cool builing (it was too legit), we headed down the street to look for some shopping. I found some great presents for all of my friends whose birthdays are this week, including my big brother, who turns 20 today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY RANDALL, I LOVE YOU. :)

On our way back to the car we stopped at a little shop to purchase some hot chocolate. You have not lived until you have drank this stuff. I imagine the golden streets of heaven are flowing with this delicious sweet chocolate drink. I cannot explain how good it is, but instead advise you all to take a trip to Aguascalientes to try it. And to see these awesome missionaries we've been blessed to spend this time with.

Next Jeremy took us through a small village and up a steep winding mountain road to a restaurant called Camino Viejo. It was a great place to eat because it was surrounded by the beautiful scenery of both the mountains and a small lake that we later played in. And of course there was the delicious seafood. A "muy rico" reminder of my home on the coast. In the front of the restaurant was a little playground that amused Robyn, Favi, and I while we waited for our food.

After the wonders of wading in the water and skipping stones, we returned to the city to go bowling. We had fun listening to music that included a few songs in English as we bowled, and Matt won...as long as he was dancing. :) We had lots of fun at the bowling alley before returning to the Smucks for pizza and Mall Cop. We're about to start the movie now, though, so I have to go. Love to all, and especially to Randall. You are so old!

:) Deidre

8 comments:

  1. Hey, this is Andrew. Just so you know, I've been keeping up with this blog and I just now discovered that I can comment on it. =p Ha. I've been keeping ya'll in my prayers, and I miss you a lot. I love you so much. I can't wait to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you I'm having fun. I miss you and I am thinking of you. See you soon Kaylynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has had another great birthday! Can't believe she is 9 already though!! She's half raised which is kind of scary to think about. Manny did great this morning with his first message. He has already become a part of our church. Our families have done something though nearly every weekend they have been here! We are definitely building some great relationships. The kids are all really close and love hanging out with each other. It's just been so much fun to watch as they join our community. Anyway better go we ordered in pizza for Kay's bday. Looking forward to seeing you Tues. or Wed.! Love to you Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. De, you rock! When do you get home? What do you want for your homecoming dinner?

    By the way, we got you some awesome presents to give to Randall today(an Astros water bottle and some fruit snacks, in case he asks). :)

    We missed you at the Astros game today. Stros won 5-0...another nice gift for Randall. Five free tickets from the will call!!!! How about that? (We let Dad stand there and look like a dork while we pretended we didn't know him.)

    Love you lots,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. deidre(my fav sister)
    i love u and miss u soo much. u r the best. i missed u so much at the game today. i rember last time we went with u and dad and the way we laughed the whole time and booed at the umpps(soon after the 2nd inning i realized thats the main reason i like going to the stros.. casue ur there with me.. i miss ur smile and u. i love u and hope ur haveing fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, Dei. glad you're having fun. thanks for the birthday wishes. Tell Roy hi for me

    -Randall

    ReplyDelete